Thursday, June 18, 2015

Amazing!

I have a dear friend who is also facing some autoimmune challenges.

To be fair, she's been handling her health challenges gracefully for far longer than I. With this unfortunate head start, she also has a few unique insights for pain management - that don't conflict with my NSAID pain relievers.

Recently she recommended peppermint oil.

I have had various friends use / sell oils for years now with mixed results. Some swear by it, others haven't seen a big difference. They're not cheap, so I held off. But with my most recent flare, I was desperate for some relief. I knew they sold oils at my chiropractor, so I was in luck. I bought a vial after my appointment yesterday and tipped a little on to the offending right pointer finger.

The pain went away. Immediately.

To be fair, I'm in the midst of a huge flare and still woke up this morning sore in just about every muscle and joint. Reapplying the oil today helped, but didn't take away all of the pain. I am so grateful, though, for a new trick in my arsenal.

Everything I read about Rheumatoid Arthritis is so doom and gloom. I know that these blogs and message boards are a way for people with RA to commiserate and validate the way they feel, but what I really want is to find a community like the one my friend Liz has for "girls with IBD and ostomies inspiring one another" (Girls with Guts) - a place where I can get tips like this, or celebrate the strong days, without constant stories of how I'll be in a wheelchair by 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment